Think that cauliflowers are boring and taste incredibly bland? Think again. Check out this roasted cauliflower recipe that’ll leave you wanting more!
This recipe combines a unique spice blend of coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, cayenne, and black pepper, spices reminiscent of Garam Masala.
Serves: 6 (as a side dish)
- 1 dried cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 large sweet onion
- salt to taste
- Chop the cayenne pepper finely and then crush it finely with a mortar and pestle.
- Add the ground coriander, ground cardamom, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, and ground black pepper to the cayenne in the mortar and crush together further, mixing well. (Do not add the salt yet! It has to be added after cooking, or it would dry out the vegetables).
- Pour this spice mixture into the olive oil (in a small container).
- Mix together well. Let sit for at least half an hour.
- Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celcius).
- Meanwhile, wash the cauliflower, then cut it into individual bite-sized florets.
- Skin the onion and chop it coarsely.
- Put all of this into a very large bowl, then pour the spice and oil mixture over it.
- Toss until well mixed.
- Spread all of this over a large baking sheet.
- Once the oven is preheated, put in the cauliflower and roast it, stirring after about 20 minutes then returning to the oven.
- Leave the cauliflower to roast until it is tender and the onions have turned translucent.
- This will take about a half an hour total.
- Pull the baking sheet out when the cauliflower is done. Salt to taste and serve.
Recipe and Image from melissaraydavis.hubpages.com